Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery

Interest Level: YA
Reading Level: 7.8
Lexile: 1060
Genre: Historical Fiction

Currently on pg. 124, chapter 12

As I was packing for my trip to Lake Tahoe, I stood looking at the pile of books I want to read. There was so many to choose from and impractical to take them all. A decision had to be made. I chose "Emily of New Moon" and one other, just in case I finished "Emily." One of the reasons I chose "Emily" was that it came highly recommended. I had told my colleague, Ms. Clyde, about a Netflix show called "Anne with an E." It is based on the book "Anne of Green Gables" by L.M. Montgomery. She loved the show and asked me if I had read "Emily of New Moon." Another reason I chose to bring "Emily" to the lake was that it is 5" x 8" x 1", a great size to put in my purse or the beach bag.

The story is a little slow starting out but it gains speed. Montgomery's flowering description of the scenery can get a bit long but that is part of her appeal. The plot is interesting. Emily is a ten year old girl who is left alone when her father dies. (Her mother died when she was born.) She goes to live with her mother's family, the Murphy's, whom she has never met. Much like Anne from "Anne of Green Gables," Emily is unique and a bit like a fish out of water at New Moon. She has never been to school or church. She must learn how to interact with her peers. Her upbringing is quite different from the proper and pride-filled believes of the Murphy's. So far, Emily has made a friend and been betrayed by that friend. She has found a second friend, Isle. Isle is from a very poor family. She, like Emily, is being raised without a father. At this point in the story, the reader has discovered that they both like the same boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment