Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Levar Burton Reads

Interest Level: Adult/Young Adult/Varies
Reading Level (Readng Counts Level): NR
Lexile: NR
Genre: All Types

I have recently discovered the "Levar Burton Reads" podcast. My children loved
Burton's  "Reading Rainbow" when they were kids and so did I. "Levar Burton Reads" is "Reading Rainbow" for adults. I listen to the podcast while I exercise; and I LOVE it. Burton reads short stories of all genres. In the first episode Burton reads "Kin" by Bruce McAllister. It is a sci-fi story about a boy who hires an alien hit-man. "The Lighthouse Keeper" by Daisy Johnson is a realistic tale entwined with some fable-like fantasy about a female lighthouse keeper who is obsessed with a certain fish. After each episode, Burton tells why he chose that particular story. I enjoyed hearing why he choose "The Lighthouse Keeper" and about the women in his family. His postscript of this story made me look at it in a whole new way. I felt like I was in a book club with Levar Burton! The latest episode I listened to was "Empty Places" by Richard Parks. It is a fantasy story about a wizard and a thief. Although not my favorite of the three I have listed to so far, I still found it enjoyable. As for recommending these stories to read on your own or listen to Levar Burton perform them, I would say all three are appropriate for 7th graders and older. I give "Kin" 5 out of 5 stars, "The Lighthouse Keeper" - 4 stars, and "Empty Places" - 3 1/2 stars. As for "Levar Burton Reads," I give the podcast 5 billions stars.

1 comment:

  1. I adore this podcast. Even my 11 month old twins like to listen to Levar B.'s soothing voice.

    ReplyDelete