Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

It Ain't So Awful, Falafel by Firoozeh Dumas

Interest Level: 5-8
Lexile: 730L
Reading Level: 4.7
Genre: Historical Fiction

Eleven-year-old Zomorod, originally from Iran, tells her story of growing up Iranian in Southern California during the Iranian Revolution and hostage crisis of the late 1970.

I grew up during the Iranian Revolution and the hostage crisis. I was young and didn't remember a lot of what was going on at that time or perhaps my parents sheltered me from it. Either way I enjoyed learning more about that time. The plot was well written. I cared about Zomorod and her family. I was angry at the people that treated them poorly. I highly recommend this book to middle school students and older.


No comments:

Post a Comment