Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Tomboy by Liz Prince

Interest Level: YA
Lexile: HL460L
Reading Level: 4.5
Genre: Historical Memoir/Graphic Novel

In her first full-length graphic novel, award-winning comics artist Prince tells the story of her lifelong battle with gender stereotypes through the lens of her tomboy childhood, marked by a preference for male role models, slouchy oversize clothes, and some serious bullying. As a kid, Prince chafed at femininity but her offbeat choices made it hard for her to find friends or a boyfriend. She starts to believe that her disinterest in being girly is what makes her unlikable, and soon she feels embarrassed by being a girl altogether. 

I chose to read this book because I wanted to see if it was appropriate to add to the middle school library collection. Growing up I was called a tomboy. I may not have had the same disgust toward dress and all things girly but I could relate to a lot of what Prince wrote. I will be purchasing this book for the library. I would recommend it to 8th graders who have an interest in gender stereotypes.


No comments:

Post a Comment