Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine

Finished the book.

No doubt this is my pick for the 2015 Oregon Readers Choice Award!!!

  • The ending was a tiny bit sad but historically accurate.
  • I love how Marlee compares the people in her life to beverages.
  • I like how Levine wrote about the STOP committee prepares to get the word out about the school board election WITHOUT the aid of computers.
  • Levine has Marlee's father (I believe it was her father) say, "Things could be different if the right people find their voices."

This book illustrated what a dangerous time the late 1950's (and longer) were for both whites and African Americans. I would hope that if I was a school age child at that time that I would do the right thing. Or if I were an adult that I would do the right thing and have the courage to allow my child to as well. Levine did an excellent job in showing how integration affected both races. I HIGHLY recommend this book!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment