Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lisa's War by Carol Matas

Currently on page 18, chapter 3
Interest Level: 3rd - 7th grade
Reading Level: 3.8 grade
Interest Level: 600
Genre: historical fiction

This book was given to me about 5 years ago by a student. At that time I worked in the library at other middle school in our school district. It was April and I had decorated for Queen Margrethe II of Denmark's birthday. He said that since my great grandfather was born in Denmark and I seemed to have a fondness for the country, I should read this book. I told him I would read it and get it back to him by the end of the school year. He said he got it out of the free box at the Wilsonville public library, he was done with it, and I could keep it. I do like Denmark. I was lucky enough to visit it in the summer of 1981. I also like historical fiction. It is a short read, only 111 pages. So, I grabbed it out of my 'to read' stack of books.

Fact - On April 9, 1940, the German army invaded Denmark. Denmark surrendered within days. This is when the book is set. SPOILER ALERT - Lisa's and her family are Jewish. Her parents are worried about the German invasion. Lisa's brother, Stefan, is angry that Denmark didn't fight the Germans harder and longer. The Germans claim that nothing will change in Denmark. They will rule their own country. Lisa's family had heard about Jews in Austria and Germany going missing but nothing has been confirmed. It could all be rumors.

No comments:

Post a Comment