Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Friday, September 12, 2014

The Public Library by Robert Dawson

Currently on page 32
Interest Level: 7th grade and up
Reading Level: 5.8 grade
Genre: non-fiction

The author that wrote the foreword for this book is from West Sacramento. I grew up in, I guess what would be called, north Sacramento. And no, I don't know him, Bill Moyers, or any of the Moyers. I picked up this book because there are some beautiful libraries in our country. I think the Woburn Public Library in Woburn, Massachusetts (pg. 20) is a very recognizable library and quite stunning. I would like to visit the Peterborough Town Library in Peterborough, New Hampshire (p.26) the next time I visit my friend, Melanie. Built in 1833, it was the first library supported by the community through taxation.

I would start this paragraph with the words 'spoiler alert' but it is information that I am sure you know. And if you don't, you should. The library matters!!! Libraries are the great equalizers among the social classes. They are refuges in times of need; natural disasters, economic distress, personal turmoil, and more. The library is currently in a state of change. As we move to a more technology based world, this book sings the praises of the library and spotlights the need for their existence.

The book is full of many beautiful pictures but also has written pieces entitled 'The Spirit of the Library', 'A Country Without Libraries', and 'What the Library Means To Me', just to name a few. Even though this is a coffee table book and lends itself to perusing, I plan to read this book cover to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment