Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Serafina's Promise by Ann E. Burg

Interest Level: 5-8 grade
Reading Level: 3.8 grade
Lexile: 590 HL
Genre: Realistic fiction/Novel in verse


Currently on pg. 11


I chose to read this book because it is one of the ORCA books. It is written in verse. I am not a fan of books written in verse. Since I tend to avoid these novels, I did a little research on why an author would write a novel in verse and why would someone choose to read them. The author Terry Farish said, "Many who work with English-language learners and others who struggle with reading seek novels that promote fluency and a sense of competence in readers. Verse novels accomplish just that.Teens, teachers, and librarians have suggested: 

“The length of the lines of the verses shaped the strands of a braid.”
“The lines made me race.”
“The verses are like tweets, a short form that our brains are adapting to.”
“The story is told in images, and it’s like you’re seeing frames in a movie.”
“The lines made me read slowly.”
And so, I read.

http://www.slj.com/2013/11/industry-news/why-verse-poetic-novels-are-a-natural-fit-for-historical-fiction-displacement-stories-and-struggling-readers/#_

No comments:

Post a Comment