Text For Email Subscribers

For notification on blog updates, please enter your email address in the field above. Then confirm your subscription with an email from Feedburner.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Seraphina's Promise by Ann E. Burg

Currently on pg. 128

This book is written in the first person voice of Seraphine, a poor girl who lives in Haiti. Her family often goes hungry. They lost a baby to starvation. On page 43, Burg writes,
"I wonder what hunger is like
without a family
to fill the emptiness.

I think about Baby Pierre.
He never had a chance
to grow fat with our love."

On page 63,
"Sometimes happiness
eases hunger
better than rice and beans."

The idea of going hungry is so foreign to me. Even when I have done fasts, I have always known that at the end of the fast there would be food. The concept of not knowing when you might eat again is something that I cannot wrap my brain around. I find Seraphina's thoughts (mentioned above) on being hungry amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment